10 Best Gifts For Elderly Parents
Updated on: March 2023
Best Gifts For Elderly Parents in 2023
Neck Shoulder Back Massager with Heat - Shiatsu Neck Massager Present for Christmas Gift for Men/Women/Mom/Dad - Deep Kneading Massage for Neck, Back, Shoulder, Waist, Leg, Feet and Muscle
The Book of Myself: A Do-It-Yourself Autobiography in 201 Questions
Able Life Auto Cane, Portable Vehicle Support Handle, Standing Mobility Aid, Car Assist Cane Grab Bar, Blue
- PREVENT FALLS: The Auto Cane provides users with stability and balance when standing or sitting from the car; compatible with most vehicles, the grab bar fits parallel to your car when inserted into a U-shaped door striker or door latch, providing optimal leverage; no installation or modifications required
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND PORTABLE: Easily store the 1-pound car assist handle in your glove box, door compartment, or purse; always have your assistive mobility handle within reach when traveling; measuring 6.5 inches long and 1.5 inches wide, the car assist cane is easy to carry
- PROVIDES INDEPENDENCE: Perfect for the elderly, injured, or anyone needing mobility assistance; easily maneuver in and out of cars without caregiver assistance, preventing back pain from lifting and skin tears from pulling
- FUN COLOR OPTIONS: Choose from three bright colors and add personality to your auto grab bar; the comfortable, ergonomically shaped, non-slip grip handle is available in Blue, Lavender, and Red
- HEAVY DUTY: Safely supports up to 300 pounds; designed for everyday use, the durable car assist bar is the perfect travel accessory
American Lifetime, Newest Version, Day Clock Extra Large Impaired Vision Digital Clock with Battery Backup and 5 Alarm Options, White
- Key features - This unique 8" high resolution digital alarm clock clearly spells out the time, period of the day, full day of the week, month and date in large, clear letters with no confusing abbreviations
- Unique functions - The day clock by American Lifetime is the only one of its kind to include a set of multi-function alarms. Set up to 5 daily alarms, with the option of reminders to take medications throughout the day
- Battery backup - This day clock also has battery back up a in case of a power outage, it automatically resets to the correct time and date when the power returns
- Makes for a perfect gift - The words dementia, alzheimer's and memory loss are intentionally excluded from the packaging, making it a great gift. We stand behind the durability of our goods and offer an unconditional guarantee. If you are not completely satisfied with our products, we will refund your money no questions asked
- Customer service - At American Lifetime you can return the product for free within the first 30 days, no questions asked. Our customer service team is here for you and happy to help answer any questions you may have
Brain Games - Bible Find a Word - Large Print
- 9" long x 7 1/2" wide
- Spiral-bound softcover
- 192 pages
- Large print is easy to read
Birdious Deluxe Window Bird Feeder with Strong Suction Cups: Enjoy Clear View Outside Wild Birds. Large See Through Birdfeeder with Removable Seed Tray. Best Gift Idea
- MAKE YOUR HOME INTO A BIRD PARADISE - All the birds will be talking about the hottest new fine dining spot the moment you set up your decorative bird feeder. Attract birds big and small with 2 different food holders, panoramic bird bath, and built-in top roof covering.
- BETTER THAN ANY NATURE SHOW - Start enjoying the amazing wildlife you have in your own backyard! With this high-quality transparent acrylic bird feeder, so when attached to window glass, you'll get an up close into the world of our region’s native birds - red cardinal, royal blue jay, bluebird, magnificent robin or fascinating finch - year round bird watching.
- HASSLE-FREE FROM START TO FINISH - At Birdious we keep things simple. All weather resistant suction cups maintain a strong attachment to any window. Detachable tray makes your window birdhouse super easy to clean and refill. Plus, multiple drain holes in window hanging feeder keep birds food fresh also in winter season.
- GREAT GIFT THAT KEEPS ON GIVING - If you’re looking for a family gift that will continuously put smiles on your loved ones’ faces, then look no further than Birdious window mount bird feeder. Not only is it perfect backyard birding gift, and bird lovers gift, but it’s also endless, unique gift for parents, dads, moms and kids. Children also love these window attaching bird houses.
- OUR PROMISE - Nervous the garden birds won’t come? Uneasy that you haven’t seen it in person? With our money back guarantee you don’t have to worry! If you don’t love your see-through bird feeders, for whatever the reason, send it back for a 100% refund.
399 Games, Puzzles Trivia Challenges Specially Designed to
- People who solve word games & brainteasers hold significant cognitive advantage over those who donaTMt
- The illustrated game book specifically created to cross-train the brain
- Fun games to stretch, challenge and engage your clients, which stimulate the formation of neurons
Shiatsu Back Shoulder and Neck Massager with Heat, Electric Deep Tissue 4D Kneading Massage for Shoulder, Back and Neck, Best Gifts for Women Men Mom Dad, FDA Approved
- ★8 DEEP TISSUE KNEADING NODES: 8 kneading massage nodes provide deep massage to your tissues and muscles. Uses Shiatsu based therapy replaces the therapist wherever go to provide a soothing and relaxing experience to your strained muscles whether it is due physical strain on mental stress
- ★ADVANCED HEATING: With infrared heating, our massager provides the necessary warmness to ease muscle tension and stress. Warmness or gentle heat helps in improving the blood circulation and relieves you of body aches, cramps, tension. It easy to use and clean, premium breathable mesh and PU leather provides a very comforting experience
- ★Adjustable speed and direction control: With three adjustable speeds (slow, medium and fast), you get to decide tune the device to provide massaging per your personal preference. Press the direction button to change the direction. Or rest easy, the massager will change direction by itself every minute. Don’t worry about falling asleep, device automatic shuts off in 15 minutes
- ★USE IT ANYWHERE: Easy to carry and even easy to wear. So use it anytime, anywhere, everywhere. This massager comes with a home power adapter and a car charger, so you can have an heat induced massage in office, car, at home or when you are traveling to relieves soreness total body relaxation. The long cable length ensures extra space and comfort
- ★BEST GIFT FOR EVERYONE: Who wouldn’t want a massager? A great and easy gift idea for your parent, friend, family or elders etc. We offer 30-day money back period in which you can return your massager for any reason. We also offer 1 year replacement.We stand behind your massager for life
Nature Gear Window Bird Feeder - Refillable Sliding Tray - Weather Proof - Snow and Squirrel Resistant - Drains Rain Water - See Songbirds from Home!
- EASY TO REFILL from inside your house! Removable sliding feed tray makes it easy and convenient to refill your window bird feeder with fresh seed without having to remove the entire feeder.
- WEATHER PROOF design performs well in diverse weather conditions! Roof and sidewalls help keep water and squirrels out of your window bird feeder, keeping your bird seed dry and inside the feeder where it belongs.
- SAFE FOR ALL your birds! We designed the removable feed tray with an integrated moisture removal system which incorporates precision laser drilled drainage holes to help dissipate moisture and keep the seed free from mold.
- STURDY design made from premium crystal clear acrylic with large suction cups. Extra Large industrial strength suction cups are designed to hold your window bird feeder in position indefinitely when installed as directed.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE If you are not completely satisfied just contact our friendly customer support team for a full refund. We Guarantee Your Satisfaction or a Full Refund - Order Now!
Window Bird Feeder with Strong Suction Cups and Seed Tray, Outdoor Birdfeeders for Wild Birds, Finch, Cardinal, and Bluebird. Large Outside Hanging Birdhouse Kits, Drain Holes, 3 Extra Suction Cups
- 🐦 AMAZING CLOSE UP VIEWS OF YOUR FAVORITE WILD BIRDS! Made from high transparency, see-through acrylic so you can study the beautiful markings of each bird. Makes bird watching fun and easy from the comfort of your own home while relaxing in your favorite chair, working at your desk, making dinner in the kitchen, and more. Kids and pets also love to watch the birds sitting inches away from their faces.
- 🐦 ENJOY THE BEAUTY OF WILD BIRDS WITHOUT NEEDING BINOCULARS! If you are looking for a top-of-the-line bird feeder, to attract birds right to your window, you will love our Nature’s Hangout Outdoor Window Bird Feeder! It is made from high transparency, see-through acrylic so you can study and appreciate the beauty of local bird species. Now you can enjoy bird watching from the comfort of your home while drinking your morning coffee, making dinner, or working at your desk!
- 🐦 THE EASIEST BIRD FEEDER YOU’LL EVER CLEAN… We created our high-end bird feeder with you in mind. The removable tray makes it easy to quickly and easily clean. Simply remove the tray, and discard any debris and old seeds. You can also quickly wipe down the surface with a wet towel to get rid of any dirt or water marks. And you don’t have to worry about bird seed staying wet and turning nasty. We made drain holes in the tray and main feeder so the seed can dry out. Enjoy!
- 🐦 PROVIDES HOURS OF ENJOYMENT FOR CHILDREN, CATS, & THE ELDERLY! Maybe you are looking for great way to teach your curious child about nature and birds— or you’re trying to keep your lazy cat entertained throughout the day— or maybe you’re looking for a way to help your elderly parents or grandparents feel at peace— Our Window Bird Feeder will provide hours and hours of wholesome enjoyment for all ages!
- 🐦 INCLUDES OUR LIFETIME “STRONGEST SUCTION CUPS GUARANTEE.” Providing exceptional quality products and top notch customer service is our #1 Priority. We promise you that your Nature’s Hangout bird feeder will never fall down, or we’ll provide you with a full refund! You can click the yellow “Add to Cart” button today with confidence— knowing that you are getting the best window bird feeder!
The Greatest Gifts to Give Elderly Parents or Friends!
Buying gifts for elderly parents or friends is really difficult. Here are some ideas that will make a hit and give smiles.
1. Give your elderly parent or friend time and attention in the attitude of love, not obligation. The holidays are grim for the elderly. Often, the elderly get very few visitors, if any. Christmas is a sad time for many of them who have lost their spouse and in some cases, even out lived their children. Most suffer from mild to severe dementia. Being your parents care giver is stressful and hard at times. It is a difficult task after hours of care, to give them your attention with a smile. At Christmas time, there is even more responsibility and pressure. So as I write this article, I do know how difficult your life is. I am going to ask even more from you. When you visit your parent in a facility, take a few minutes and give a smile or hug to the other residents. Take a minute out of your rushed schedule and ask them how they are feeling and listen to their response. Make a point to tell them how pretty they look. If they can't speak, tell them that they are loved and that God is there with them. Adopt two or three that have no family and give them flowers or some little trinket for Christmas. Stop by everyday to visit. They will be so blessed by the gift of your time and attention.
Years ago, I spent a lot of time with a couple in a nursing home. In between visits to my friends, I spent time with three women that I adopted on that same floor who received few visitors. They were down on that 3rd floor called skilled nursing and all were in their last weeks. It was one of the most difficult but rewarding times in my life. There were so many residents on this 3rd floor that were calling out to be touched and it was heart breaking. The hugs, smiles, and words of comfort I gave them, made a huge difference in the quality of their life and in mine. When they all died within a short period of time, I knew I had given them what they needed most, some love and attention.
2. Visit them with the attitude of patience and kindness. The means overlooking all the declining mental and physical abilities that cause them to feel helpless and dependent. Their inability to control their bodily functions is embarrassing and humiliating to them. With your eyes and tone of voice let them know you understand, and that it's ok. In their mind, they often feel they are a burden in your life. It's up to you to show them that they are still important to you and the family. Adopt the attitude of true acceptance, love and kindness. One day you will be in that same place. How would you like to be treated? Let go of the history teacher attitude. Don't correct them when they have dates or time periods incorrect. What does it matter at this point? The idea is to listen and share, not correct them on the events of the past.
Years ago, I spent time with a man who had been a famous builder. He was lost in the time period when he was around 50 and very successful. He had traveled the world with his wife and built many of the buildings in the area. Whenever I walked into his room, I was either his dead wife, his girlfriend, son or partner. He was never in the present. He was great company and would describe the trips they had gone on and details on the buildings he had designed. He kept me on my mental toes trying to figure out what role I was playing at each visit. He had an imaginary dog in his room, and I played along with the script that only he knew. I shared his world at his level. I entered his world on these visits.
3. Give them CDs from the old days. You can buy old musicals, old western movies, comedy skits such as I love Lucy or TV reruns from the 40's and 50's.
4. Buy them a CD of their favorite music or a audio book. What you bring them all depends on their physical and mental abilities. If you give them a CD player, make sure they are capable of using it. If it is a remote, the same thing applies. It is extremely frustrating and upsetting to them when they can't make it work. Remember, often there is shortage of personnel so the nursing staff will not have the time to help them. Buy a simple machine and then label the buttons as well or color code them to help them remember what they are for.
5. With women its a wonderful treat to curl and style their hair in an attractive way. If you have no talent, pay to have it styled. It gives a woman great joy that is sick and bed bound to have their hair done.
6. Get them a new shirt or new Christmas blouse so they feel less ordinary. Bright colors brighten the mood.
7. Buy a flower for their room to give it some Christmas cheer or a small lighted tree.
8. Buy them a stuffed animal in the shape of a dog and cat. On entering the nursing home, most of them had to give up their beloved pets. Giving them a stuffed animal gives them comfort in their loneliness and pain. They even have stuffed animals that move when you pet them and make purring noises.
9. Most elderly patients are always cold because of a lack of circulation so knit or buy them a new, brightly colored lap warmer.
10. Bring the grand children or the neighbors' children over for a visit. Many of the elderly deeply miss not seeing or hearing the laughter of the little ones. I know it is not the cheeriest place to bring children, but it's good for them to learn how to give service to others. Have them draw a picture or get well card to give as a gift. Bring the family dog into the facility, if they will allow it. Pet therapy works wonders and is approved by many facilities.
11. Take them out to see the Christmas lights or to a musical Christmas performance in your community. If they can be taken out, it is such a huge treat and blessing. It may be their last opportunity to see something special as their time grows near. If they are bed-bound, bring a Christmas video or watch one on TV with them.
12. Take videos of the kids and spend several hours watching it with them. Spend a whole afternoon showing them the old family pictures. Memories are the only thing they have left. Their present has pain and the future is only days or hours. Their past is comforting and a distraction to the unending pain and reality. Talk to them about fun, happy memories when you were a child. Let them know how much you loved the pies they made or the gifts they sewed or the times you did things together. Put together a memory book to leave at their bedside to help them pass the time when no one is there. Help them to record your family history on CD or leave messages for the family that can't be there. I know that I cherish the CD my mom left us. To hear her voice and words is comforting.
13. Give them special treats that normally they are not allowed to have. I think it is sinister that nursing homes do not allow special food treats to their patients who are usually dying anyway. What does it matter, a treat of chocolate? Take them in a special dinner or take them out if possible for Christmas. Hire a caregiver to help you if you can't manage them physically yourself.
14. Play games and give them magazines with pictures: National geographic and various travel magazines are great because of the pictures. Often, when they can't comprehend the articles because of dementia, they still love to look at pictures. Kids large piece puzzles can be used by some people in the early stages of dementia. I was friends with a man who did very well at them. The memory and how it fades is different with each person. What games and activities they are capable of doing is a day to day question. It is good to stimulate them mentally as long as they don't get frustrated and upset. Most games can be simplified for the level of the individual playing.
If is a male, watch a game with him or discuss the latest sports news and games. Take him a sports magazine and discuss different topics. Play chess or cards. All card games can be brought down to the level of the patient from hangman to word games. You just use simple words or rules.
15. Massage their hands or back with lotion. Give them a manicure, and then paint their nails with polish.
16. Make them a special patchwork comforter for their bed or buy one. It makes them feel loved.
17. Bring the family into their room for a party. Try to get all the family there, if they are in the last weeks of life. The money is better spent on a visit before their death to brighten their remaining days, than a visit to the funeral home later. Sometimes people hold on to life just so they can see someone one last time. Let them have that last gift. If you are uncomfortable in nursing homes, get out of your discomfort and concentrate on giving them some last happiness. You need to put their needs above yours.
18. If you have musical talents or can play the piano, give of your time. The lives the elderly lead in these facilities are often boring. It is a great gift to involve them in a sing along or special dance skit. I have seen some real talent all given freely and in love.
19. If your father or mother was not the best parent, forgive them and let them know that you do. Forgiveness benefits you as much as the one you forgive. Don't let them go to the grave thinking that you hate them or hold the past against them. Let them go to the grave with some peace. Most of our parents raised us the best they were capable of. They made mistakes as we did with our own children. Even if they were alcoholics, they did their best. Let all of that go and when you do, your life and heart will be blessed and your shoulders will feel lighter.